If you have a chronic case of xerostomia (dry mouth) then you are more susceptible to oral health problems like tooth decay and infection. However, you don’t need to fear this condition because there are many treatment solutions available for xerostomia, including the following:
- The best treatment is to determine the cause of your dry mouth problem and treat that cause. Some common causes include medication use, chemotherapy, nerve damage, and disease.
- If a medication is causing a dry mouth problem, then talk to your physician to see if you can adjust the dosage.
- We may prescribe a saliva substitute for you to use in treating a dry mouth.
- Drink more water to help put moisture in your mouth. Avoid caffeinated beverages like coffee, soda, and tea because they can dry out your mouth.
- Use a humidifier at night because your saliva flow will decrease as you sleep.
- Chew on sugarless gum or suck on sugarless candy to stimulate your saliva flow.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco use because both of these substances can dry out the mouth.
- Use alcohol-free mouthwashes
- Try to breathe through your nose instead of your mouth.
Please contact our dentist and team today if you have a dry mouth problem and want to receive the best treatment solution.